Marymoor Park and the city of Redmond welcomed back an old friend, Cirque du Soleil. The newest show “Luzia” promises spectacles, acrobatics, wonders and delights. This is Cirque du Soleil’s 38th original show since 1984. “Luzia” is the 17th new show brought to you under the Big Top. Can you believe that this company has entertained more than 160 million people in more than 400 cities on 6 continents? Wow!
The company drove into our fair city last week and set up their amazing Big Top. It takes 8 days and over 100 workers to build out everything after the Big Top is raised. The raising itself is a well-orchestrated ballet of construction wonder. One great aspect of Cirque du Soleil is how much they support our local economy and jobs market. They almost double their staff with local workers while they are in any given area. If you are interested in working with them you will need to check out Adecco Staffing. We appreciate new local job opportunities here at Equality365. Get tickets here.
A few facts about the LUZIA Big Top and the Cirque du Soleil village:
- The Big Top seats more than 2,600 people.
- The entire site set-up takes 8 days. This includes installation of the Big Top, the entrance tent, the VIP tent and the rehearsal spaces.
- The Big Top stands at 62 feet (19 meters) high and is 167 feet (51 meters) in diameter.
- The 4 steel masts stand at 82 feet (25 meters) tall each.
- 550 pegs are required to hold the big top firmly to 48,500 square feet of asphalt.
- The Big Top can withstand winds up to 75 mph (120 km/h).
- The light-coloured canvas helps counter the effects of the sun, thereby reducing energy consumption and minimizing greenhouse gas emissions.
- LUZIA travels via 65 trailer trucks carrying close to 2,000 tons of equipment
We have a video of the Cirque du Soleil team erecting the Big Top for “Luzia”.
We also have a video interview with Heather Reilly, Company Manager for Cirque du Soleil “Luzia”. We filmed this with a great group of bloggers at the tent raising event. It is full of fun facts and interested commentary about the show and Reilly.
Don’t miss the sneak preview promo reel direct from Cirque du Soleil “Luzia”!
Get tickets here.